Schlack Ito has developed a reputation for providing high-quality legal services covering all facets of commercial and residential real estate, including development, financing, acquisitions, sales and exchanges, commercial leasing and other transactions involving shopping centers, office and industrial buildings, condominiums, hotel and resort properties, golf courses, restaurants, subdivisions, telecommunication sites, agricultural lands and other properties within the State. Our clients include some of the largest commercial land owners and developers in the Islands, who look to our practical experience and local knowledge to help them pursue opportunities, reduce risk, and complete transactions in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Examples of our experience include the following:
Development and Financing
- Advice and counsel to developers of shopping centers, residential communities, office buildings, industrial properties and hotels and resorts on development strategies, securitization, financing and documentation.
- Negotiation and preparation of development and financing documents, including letters of intent, purchase and sale agreements, leases, development agreements, condominium and subdivision documents, construction contracts, loan commitments, mortgages and equity arrangements.
- Conduct and coordination of complex due diligence investigations.
- Rendering of legal opinions for loan transactions.
- Interface and coordination with escrow and title companies.
Representative real estate development projects include Kohanaiki, Mililani Mauka, University of Hawai'i West Oahu, Victoria Ward Centers, Waikiki Beach Walk and Kaneohe Ranch commercial properties.
- Negotiation, documentation and due diligence investigation of purchase, sale and exchange transactions involving shopping centers, office buildings, commercial, industrial and residential properties, hotels and resorts, and agricultural lands.
- Interface and coordination with title companies on the issuance of title insurance and endorsements.
Representative transactions include those involving Kauai Lagoons Resort, Four Seasons Resort - Wailea, Colony Surf Hotel, Del's Farm Supply, Honolulu Club, Hawai'i Medical Library, Kapolei Business Park, Ihilani Hotel and Ko Olina Golf Course, various Kaneohe Ranch properties and Victoria Ward, Limited, among many others.
- Representation of owners, developers, operators, managers and tenants in commercial leasing transactions.
- Negotiation and preparation of space and ground leases for retail, office, industrial, warehouse and agricultural properties.
Representative leasing clients and projects include Victoria Ward, Limited/General Growth Properties, Waikiki Beachwalk, Outrigger Hotels Hawaii, Kapolei Commons, Kona Commons, Castle & Cooke, Koko Marina Center and Kaneohe Ranch, Limited.
Representative transactions have included retail anchor tenants such as Consolidated Theatres, Nordstrom, Office Depot, Ross, Sports Authority and Whole Foods; retail national tenants such as Jamba Juice, Linens N Things, Pier 1 Imports, Radio Shack, Starbucks, and The Gap; and restaurant tenants such as Buca di Beppo, California Pizza Kitchen, Chili's Grill & Bar, Compadre's, Jimmy Buffet's at the Beachcomber, McDonald's and Yard House.